The conference will be hosted at the Art Gallery of Burlington (previously the Burlington Arts Center), which is located along the shore of Lake Ontario. This is an award-winning space dedicated to art education and exhibition. Our conference will make use of both its gallery and studio spaces.
The Art Gallery is a five minute walk from the Waterfront Hotel and from the adjacent Brant Street shopping area, where attendees can find a large selection of restaurants and cafes.
For those travelling into Burlington by car, we have arranged free parking for you at the Art Gallery. The parking lot is situated at the rear of the building off of Elgin St. Please just check in with the Art Gallery when you arrive.
For those travelling into Burlington by GO Train, it is possible to reach the venue directly by transferring onto the number 5, 10, of 50 Burlington Transit Bus, available at the GO Station, and getting off at the Nelson Ave stop. If you intend to take one of these buses, just present your GO ticket to the bus driver and your fare will only be 70 cents.
The conference organizers have secured a block of reasonably priced rooms ($119 Cdn) at the Waterfront Hotel, which is a five minute walk from the Arts Center, and overlooks Lake Ontario. In order to take advantage of them, use the booking code is ‘Philo’. These rooms are first come, first serve.
There are also a number of other hotels and motels located in Burlington, though none are as conveniently located as the Waterfront.
Travel by Air:
- Pearson International Airport (YYZ) is the area's largest airport, and is located on the West-ern outskirts of Toronto. Most international flights will terminate at this location.
- Buffalo International Airport is an alternative for those interested in flying into New York State, and travelling across the border into Ontario. Cheaper flights are sometimes available into this location, although the overall travel time can be significantly longer.
- Porter Airlines flies into Billy Bishop Airport (YTZ), which is located near downtown To-ronto. It offers economy flights from a small selection of Canadian and American cities (in-cluding Boston, Chicago, and New York/New Jersey)
- A number of smaller airlines also fly into Hamilton’s International Airport (YHM) from locations in Canada, America and Central Europe.
From Pearson Airport:
- Limo service can be arranged ahead of time, via a local service such as Burlington Limo, or by visiting the Land Transportation Desks located in each terminal when you arrive. The cost is approx. $70 (Cdn) each way, before tax.
- You can also pre-arrange travel via Airways Transit shuttle service which will take you directly to your lodgings. The cost is approx. $80 (Cdn) one way, and can be arranged via their website.
- Car rentals are also available at these locations, and do not need to be prearranged (though of course it helps).
- Public transit is available from Pearson to Burlington. However, the route is quite complicated and lengthy. Using the public transportation directions on Google Maps can be quite helpful in this regard.
- Finally, taxi services are available upon your arrival at Pearson. The cost ranges from $50-90 dollars depending upon your destination and traffic.
From Buffalo International Airport:
- Probably the easiest thing to do from this airport is pre-arrange travel with Jetways transportation, which offers a shuttle service from the airport to the Holiday Inn in downtown Burlington.
- There are also limousine and car rentals available here.
From Billy Bishop Airport:
- This airport is located very close to the heart of downtown Toronto.
- It offers a shuttle service directly to Union Station, the city’s main transportation hub, where you can rely upon GO Transit service to the Burlington GO Station via bus or train. The shut-tle service is free, and the bus or train is approx. $10 (Cdn) each way.
- There are also car rentals and taxi services available at this airport.
- It is also possible to pre-arrange travel with a limousine service, however reservations must be made ahead of time when traveling from this airport.
From Hamilton Airport:
- Taxis are always available at this airport.
- Car rentals are also available at this airport, and can be pre-arranged.
- It is also possible to pre-arrange travel with a limousine service or Airways Transit, however reservations must be made ahead of time when traveling from this airport.
- VIA Rail, which has stations across Canada, stops in Burlington. And, GO Transit runs trains through Burlington from the neighbouring municipalities, such as Hamilton and Toronto.
- Greyhound and Coach Canada both provide service to the Burlington bus station, depending on your starting location. And, GO Transit provides bus service there from the neighbouring municipalities, such as Hamilton and Toronto.
A Note About Ground Transportation:
If you are not arriving directly at your accommodations in Burlington (i.e. you are arriving at the GO Station, or the Holiday Inn via shuttle service) there are a number of local taxi services available, as well as a reliable public transportation system. It is worth noting that Google Maps can be used to plan your use of local public transportation.